John Donne Church of England School is named after John Donne, Poet, Dean of St. Paul's and a former Rector of the Parish. The building has an interesting history. The thatched part (the hall and one classroom) was built in 1813. The National Society built an additional schoolroom in 1852. A new school consisting of two rooms was built on the site in 1874 with an extra room being added in 1902. These three rooms were destroyed by fire in 1971 and the school moved into new classrooms, on the same site, in 1973. An extension consisting of a kitchen, cloakroom and office was opened in 1974. The thatched building survived the changes; it remains an integral part of the school and a notable landmark in the locality. The new library was completed and opened in July 2005. In September 2011 the new purpose built Nursery Unit was opened by the Bishop of Bedford. In March 2013 a new glass walkway was added as an entrance to the old Nursery classroom which is now our Hall. The old Hall in the thatched part of the building has been changed to a Reception classroom.